Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Vocabulary #8

Abase: (Verb) behave in a way so as to belittle or degrade
It’s disappointing to see the amount of guys who like to abase girls in my grade.
abdicate: (verb)
(of a monarch) renounce one's throne
The prince had to abdicate his throne because of unknown causes.
abomination: (Noun)
a thing that causes disgust or hatred:
In many stories, there is always that one character that is an abomination because of how cruel they are to people.
brusque: (adjective)
abrupt or offhand in speech or manner:
My friend speaks in such brusque manner that I can’t tell if he is joking or not.
saboteur: (noun)
a person who engages in sabotage.
Sometimes I like to believe that karma is my saboteur to my life.
debauchery: (noun)
excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures.
I have a friend who is always up to debauchery, and it concerns me for his health.
proliferate: (verb) increase rapidly in numbers; multiply:
To proliferate money with less work would be an awe-struck sight to see.
anachronism: (noun)
a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, esp. a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned:
Sometimes I like to believe I’m an anachronism because the teenagers at my school are idiotic and ill-minded.
nomenclature: (noun)
the devising or choosing of names for things, esp. in a science or other discipline.
Whenever I talk to my friends, I tend to make up nomenclature when I can’t think of the real name for objects.
expurgate: (verb) to remove matter thought to be objectional or unsuitable from a book
If someone were to expurgate a section from a book, it must be something that is truly offensive.
bellicose: (adjective)
demonstrating aggression and willingness to fight:
Sometimes my sister likes to have a bellicose attitude because she wants to show who is boss.
gauche: (adjective)
lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.
MOST OF MY FRIENDS HAVE A GAUCHE TRAIT IN THEM WHICH IS EXTREMELY FUNNY.
rapacious: (adjective)
aggressively greedy or grasping
Sometimes I like to think that I’m better than everyone because then do I ever get to act in a rapacious way.
paradox: (noun)
a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory:
A paradox is usually seen in plays to create a certain effect for readers.
conundrum: (noun)
a confusing and difficult problem or question
I’m always stuck in conundrums with my friends because they just don’t seem to understand me or they are just assholes.
anomaly: (noun)
something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected
I like to date a guy who can be unique and be an anomaly.
ephemeral (adjective)
lasting for a very short time:
Wow, it seems like my friendship with The Clan was meant to be ephemeral for me.
rancorous (adjective)
characterized by bitterness or resentment
I have been very rancorous lately due to the fact that my friends have completely forgotten me.
churlish (adjective)
rude in a mean-spirited and surly way
Sometimes I do not miss the churlish actions my friends had towards me.
precipitous ( adjective)
dangerously high or steep:

Since I’m not scared of heights, I love to be in precipitous places.

0 comments:

Post a Comment