Monday, September 16, 2013

Vocabulary #5

Obsequious: (Adj) Characterized by or showing servile complaisance or deference; fawning.
My dog buddy is a very obsequious companion; even when I leave for a few moments he whimpers like I’m leaving for days.
Beatitude: (Noun) Supreme blessedness; exalted happiness.
Lately I’ve been missing my source of beatitude, it’s made me into the person I wish I wasn’t.
Bête noir: (Noun) A person or thing especial disliked or dreaded; bane; bugbear.
There is this girl who is a bête noir to my group of friends because of all the devastating things she’s done to our friendship.
Bode: (Verb) To be an omen of; portend
Austin bode news of terrible misfortunate among the Willis family and their winery.
Dank: (Adj) Unpleasantly moist or humid; damp and, often, chilly
The dank t-shirt Joan wore had permeated a deathly smell among the room.
Ecumenical: (Adj) general; universal
A rule of thumb is usually an ecumenical phrase used as a guideline.
Fervid: (Adj) Heated or vehement in spirit, enthusiasm
The war zone has brought out some fervid spirit in the Righetti students of this year.
Fetid: (Adj) Having an offensive odor; stinking
Johnny was blanketed with a fetid smell that I had to step out of the room.
Gargantuan: (Adj) Gigantic; enormous; colossal
Amin is one of my new friends this year and he could be best described as gargantuan.
Heyday: (Noun) the stage or period of greatest vigor, strength, success
Most adults hit their heyday in their late twenties or early thirties.
Incubus: (Noun plural) An imaginary demon or evil spirit suppose to descend upon sleeping persons, especially one fabled to have sexual intercourse with women during their sleep. Something that weighs upon or oppresses one like a nightmare
My everyday thoughts haunt me like an incubus, only creating more stress for myself.
Infrastructure: (Noun) The basic, underlying framework or features of a system or organization.
An infrastructure that is well built will withstand many years or wear and tear among people.
Inveigle: (Verb) to entice, lure, or ensnare by flattery or artful talk or inducements
I once knew of a boy who inveigled me into falling in love with him… it was the cruelest trick ever.
Kudos: (Noun) Honor; glory; acclaim
My AVID teacher loves to give kudos out to every kid who tries hard in his class.
Lagniappe: (Noun) A small gift given with a purchase to a customer, by way of compliment or for good measure; bonus.
Many beauty products come with a lagniappe that accompanies the main product.
Prolix: (Adj) Extended to great, unnecessary, or tedious length; long and wordy
Sometimes people with hauteur personalities tend to give prolix speeches.
Protégé: (Noun) a person under the patronage, protection, or care of someone interested in his or her career or welfare.
Great leaders have protégés to continue on their legacy of awesomeness.
Prototype: (Noun) The original or model on which something is based or formed.
To create something spectacular, one must go through many prototypes and enduring times to succeed.
Sycophant: (Noun) a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite.
I know of a girl who acts like a sycophant and drives everyone she knows, away.
Tautology: (noun plural) Needless repetition of an idea, especially in words other than those of the immediate context, without imparting additional force or clearness as in “widow woman”
Some teachers like to present information in a way of tautology; some students may get annoyed this way.
Truckle: (verb) to submit or yield obsequiously or tamely(usually followed by to)

In an argument, I’m usually the one to truckle because I do not like arguing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment