Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Poetry #1

1.)From what poem/author does this commercial borrow (without credit)?
The Levi company borrows the poem The Laughing Heart from the author Charles Bukowski.

2.)Why might the use of this poem by a corporation be considered ironic?  

Using The Laughing Heart  in a Levi's commercial that is questionable is ironic because   corporation businesses tend to work closely with the government. The message portrayed in the commercial is basically to be your own free spirit, or like shown in the advertisement, stand up to your authorities. 

3.)Does the poem reflect the reputation of the author? Why/why not?

The poem is almost a spitting image to what type of person Charles Bukowski was. I say this because learning more about him, he was described as a man of his own. He was his own person and created his own path. He also was a free spirit that didn't get as much attention as he should have. He made his own rules and played by his own game. 

4.)How did you find the answers to #1 & #3? Describe your research process and your sources in detail. 

I found the answers on two separate websites. I first caught a phrase from the Levi commercial to look up and from there I searched it into the Google bar. From there I clicked on the second link that provided the author and poem which led me to this site http://thebestamericanpoetry.typepad.com/the_best_american_poetry/2008/11/the-laughing-he.html. From this website I was provided with the name of the poem, author, and actual poem which I used to answer question two. That is how I answered question #1. For question #3 I looked up in the Google search bar , Charles Bukowski reputation. From there I clicked on the fourth link that came up which led me to this website http://www.enotes.com/charles-bukowski-essays/bukowski-charles. This led me to a short biography about him which I used to answer question number three.

0 comments:

Post a Comment